Like most sites this site uses cookies : By continuing to use our site you are agreeing to our cookie policy.close & accept [x]

your basket

There is nothing in your basket!

site search

mailing list

join our mailing list to receive offers and updates.

latest tweets

follow us on twitter

Sun 19th August 2012

The Cheviot and Schil, via the Hen Hole

The Cheviot and Schil, via the Hen Hole

Last of the Pennine Way via the Hen Hole

Sundance had soft shoed shuffled, Jon had promised that it was going to be a good day and what did we wake up to Rain.  By 07.30 it had stopped whoopee!

Dry drive up to Wooler where it promptly started to rain by the time we arrived at Hethpool it had stopped but as we sorted out selves out it started to yes you’ve guessed rain. On the drive up to Mounthooly it had stopped. 

As we walked past Mounthooly the top of Cheviot and the surrounding hills was lost in cloud. For the first one and a bit miles we followed a rough track but soon left the track to walk over rough pasture along the side of the College Burn. The view into the Hen hole was block from view by a shoulder of The Cheviot. On coming round the shoulder we got our first view of what Mike was leading us into, with the low cloud and dark threatening sky it looked very spooky.

Entering the narrow gorge with the sides towering above with the tops lost in the mist it had a very Scottish mountain feel.  We followed now on a small path which frequently disappeared, lead us along the west side of the burn.  All the while Mike was looking for an easy crossing of the burn as the path on the east side being easier to follow.  We continued to make progress although several times we had to make scrambled detours round the rock faces forming the numerous waterfalls.

Eventually we entered a large amphitheatre above the Hen Hole formed by the Cheviot Platue towering still above us and had lunch.  After a well earned rest we continued to follow the College Burn until a rocky spur took us up to Auchope Cairn and an unbelievable view back down through the Hen Hole and up across the valley to the Border ridge and the Schil. 

We now followed the Pennine Way to the spot height 743m which we had reached on an earlier walk. On the way we met two ladies whom we had met at Barrowburn Tea rooms after an earlier walk in the year.  Once at the spot height we started to fill in the last three mile gap of The Pennine Way that we had not walked in Northumberland by retracing our steps to Auchope Cairn.

After the steep decent from Auchope (it must have been steep as Mike slipped in the clarts and got a mucky bum) we reached the Mountain Refuge Hut.  Mike must have found the walking hard as much to everyone’s surprise he said we would have a 15 min break.  The cloud had now started to break up and the sun began to shine.  All too soon we were off again and in true Cheviot style the path became very wet and squashy which entailed lots of little detours to get round the really bad bits. 

Eventually we started the last climb of the day, the assent of the Schil.  At last we had done it; we had completed all of the Northumberland Pennine Way.

As we sat and enjoyed the sunshine and the views Mike started wittering on about the next years project which is to walk back to Alston from Berwick using the North Sea Trail Then St. Oswald’s Way, some of the Hadrian’s Wall and some how linking up with Isaac’s Tea trail to finish back at Alston.

We continued to follow the Pennine Way for the decent down the Schil until the Pennine Way crossed the border into Scotland. 

We turned east to follow a path down the Fleehope Burn.  This was a very wet path with lots of slippery bits we allowed three of the party to sit down (fall) and take a close look at the vegetation.  Eventually Mounthooly came into view and then as the sun began to set behind the Schil we reached the cars and the end of a long but really good days walk.

Sat 11th August 2012

St Cuthbert's Way Challenge Walk

St Cuthbert's Way Challenge Walk

Well done to everybody who completed this 19.5 mile challenge walk.

After checking in at Wooler all the participants got on a number of busses that took them up to Morebattle for the start of this truly stunning challenge walk.

Initially they climbed Wideopen Hill, the highest point on the St Cuthbert's Way before climbing up through The Cheviot Hills. What a day!

You can view the finishing times for all participants by clicking here.

Please enjoy the YouTube film and the pictures from the day. I very much hope you can join us again next year.

Tue 7th August 2012

Still heading North - St Cuthberts Way

Still heading North  - St Cuthberts Way

After a week of Sunshine and showers Sundance was rather worried.  Had the old soft shoe shuffle worked? 

The drive up to Wooler looked promising that is until about 2 miles south of Wooler when the roads became very wet, but it was not raining. Our hope’s rise that the soft shoe shuffle had worked? 

We all met at Wooler Common and piled on a mini-bus for the transfer to Kirk Yetholm.  Things started to look bad, very dark clouds ahead and the roads west of Kirknewton had rivers running down the sides, then it began to rain!  By the time we had reached the start of the walk at Halterburn (the end of the last Pennine Way walk) the rain had stopped but as the mini bus pulled away it started to RAIN again.

So the first job was for every one to don waterproofs.  We set off along the clearly marked footpath heading upwards to the border after a climb of  500ft we reached the border between Scotland and England strangely there was no Border Control Agency people waiting to check passports, could it be the weather?

From here there is a very gradual descent to Hethpool following the Elsdon Burn.  It was still raining! There was not any shelter from the rain as we walked through a plantation just bigger drops.  At Hethpool we stopped for lunch as well as becoming lunch for the midges whilst trying to gain some shelter from the rain by sheltering under some big deciduous trees.

As we started to leave our lunch spot it stopped raining.  It was at this point we realised that the rain had a positive effect it had stopped Mike from wittering.  Yes you guessed he now started. We crossed the College burn by a substantial bridge before starting to climb gently up the eastern side of the College valley.  By now the sun was shining and waterproofs were being discarded, after a short stop to watch a small herd of Wild Cheviot Goats we entered a picturesque little wooded valley.  The path gradually climbed up through a wide open hillside that was covered in harebells and a variety of other little flowers.

The path levelled out for a short distance past Toleehouse, before starting the long last climb up passing the side of Yeavering Bell and then Tom Tallon’s Crag. The path from here gently undulates for the next 3 or 4 Km.  Views of the North Sea and Bewick Moor gradually began to disappear in the murk of another mass of rain clouds and yes it began to RAIN once more but only for about 30 minutes or so.  The descent down Browns Law returned us back to our cars and wet boots and waterproofs were quickly discarded for dry clothes.