Like most sites this site uses cookies : By continuing to use our site you are agreeing to our cookie policy.close & accept [x]

your basket

There is nothing in your basket!

site search

mailing list

join our mailing list to receive offers and updates.

latest tweets

follow us on twitter

From Source to Sea - day 1

From Source to Sea - day 1

Wed 16th July 2014

The River Coquet from Source to Sea

Day One - Coquet Head to Barrowburn.

Well Sundance had certainly doing the old soft shuffle.  Yes it was sunny and hot with hardly any wind a really good day to start our 6 day trek.  But would it last?

We all met up at Windyhaugh car park jumped on to the mini bus that took us up to valley to Chew Green, the start of the days walk but as Mike took great delight in telling us NOT the start of the walk proper! At this point the river was about 3ft wide.

Having walked along the edge of the Chew Green Roman camps we crossed the border in to Scotland.  At this point the north bank of the River! Coquet (It is about 2ft wide) forms the border between England and Scotland.  At Coquet head we re-entered England by the first or last bridge across the Coquet, really it was just a boggy area with a slight trickle oozing its way down hill.

After a quick tea break we started the walk proper heading for the North Sea.  An easy walk contouring round Brown Hart Law took us from England to Scotland back to England this route also brought us above Chew Green where we could see the outline of the Roman camps.  

After a passing Brown Hart Law and its Roman Signal Station we headed along a track to Deelís Hill and lunch.  After lunch a gentle walk down we reached the River at Buchamís Bridge.  Up to this point Mike had been desperately looking out for the famous Cheviot Goats to no avail but as Mike was pontificating about some old rock a more observant person spied a gout walking across the bridge less than 20 yards away and totally ignore us.

At long last we walked beside the river which by now was about 15ft wide, unfortunately it was on the tarmacked road.  Eventually we left the road at Carlcroft to head up hill and join the footpath The Street we now walked down steeply to once more join the road and the river at Slymefoot.( Trows road end)  After walking along the road we reached the official end of the dayís walk at Barrowburn Tea Room.  

Arriving just before 5pm we pilled in to enjoy coffee and cake, Much too Mikeís concern a number of us opted to have his favourite home-made caramel short bread.  Fortunately for Mike there was plenty for everyone.


There are currently no comments posted, be the first and post a comment!

add a comment

Please tick here to confirm you agree with our terms and conditions.