Like most sites this site uses cookies : By continuing to use our site you are agreeing to our cookie policy.close & accept [x]

your basket

There is nothing in your basket!

site search

mailing list

join our mailing list to receive offers and updates.

latest tweets

follow us on twitter

Nordic Challenge Walk - Belford to Holy Island

Nordic Challenge Walk - Belford to Holy Island

Sun 23rd April 2017

A large group of 22 Nordic Nuts met in Belford to complete the Nordic Challenge Walk from Belford to Holy Island. 

The forecast was for about 9° with 10% chance of rain.

We had one newbie whilst the rest were all regulars with me.

Martin was in the front to take us at a good pace, whilst I was dotting around the rest of the group to make sure everyone was okay and keeping them in line.

We walked up to Belford Community Centre where we did our warm up and I explained that we couldnít cross the causeway until 2.45 pm.

We headed off at a good pace with Martin in the lead following the route that Jon had given us, time for the customary detour but passed the castle, as when we got to the gate it was locked so we had to turn around and go back to pick up the correct route which passed by a lovely little stream. 

The group spread out and caught up every time there was a gate or stile of which there were many.

We passed Swinhoe before walking through Detchant Woods, people who had been on the St Cuthbertís Cave Nordic Walk in the previous summer recognised Swinhoe Lake where we had stopped for lunch.  A few snacks were eaten before we headed off again.

Martin was still at the front with a little posse of ladies who were going at a canny pace, Angela (Mrs Elbows) loves walking with Martin.  He has his own fan club.

Next up was Sheilow Wood where we came across 2 gates which Anne duly gate vaulted over.
Kyloe Wood was next on the agenda and we had begun to think Martin had forgotten to stop for lunch, he found an amazing spot with a big tree lying down and a view of Holy Island, our destination.  Lots of food was eaten especially the triple chocolate brownies that Martin had very kindly made. 

Walking towards the A1 we came across a telephone box which had Russell mesmerised.  It didnít take coins and he couldnít grasp how you paid for calls.

We then had to cross the A1 and it was onwards towards the causeway. 

We had to cross a high speed train line, cue Martinís favourite part of the walk.  He had to call the signalman to let him know we were crossing the track so they could change the signals and of course confirming we had all crossed safely.

The people at the front saw a deer just popping its head over a hedge this was definitely Angelaís highlight.

When we got to the start of the causeway we were greeted by Sharon who often joins us (since her injury) for the post cake and tea. 

Martin told me that a couple of the ladies didnít want to walk over the sands so I walked along the causeway with them with Martin and the rest of the group heading over the sands in bare feet.

Luckily for me Russell had taken lots of photos (yes for a change) and also some videos so I didnít miss out on the fun. There is an area of black stuff (never know what it is) which is always tricky to cross, usually someone falls in.  However this time there were just shoes/flip flops stuck in it.  First it was Steveís seal skin shoe and then it was Zeenatís flip flop.  Not to worry Martin was straight in to the black stuff to rescue them.  Mary crossed and one of her feet went a lot deeper than she expected.

The walkers from the road got to the end of the causeway literally seconds before the others and whilst most people were drying their feet and putting their shoes on I headed onto the sands to walk the last little bit with Kim, Claire and Glynis.

We all headed to cafés on the island and Russell, Steve, Glynis, Frankie and Lynn went on a wander into one of the churches.

The mini bus was picking us up at 6 pm to take us back to our cars in Belford and everyone met in good time.

Whilst in the bus Mary mentioned the hill near the end and I hadnít noticed it.  I was not popular at that point.

We checked GPS (13½ miles), mobile phone apps (11½ miles) for the mileage.  We agreed to go for the 13½ miles.

I think you will agree that the scenery throughout this walk was stunning and enjoyed the variety between woodlands, fields and the causeway.

Well done to everyone, you did great.  I hope the big smiles meant you all enjoyed it and you liked your goody bags with the little chocolate treat in them.

Thank you to Martin for baking the chocolate brownies and leading the walk.

I hope you enjoyed the Challenge Walk.

The next Nordic Walks are 7th May at Thrunton Woods led by Jane and Happy Valley, Wooler on 20th May.

I hope to see you soon.


There are currently no comments posted, be the first and post a comment!

add a comment

Please tick here to confirm you agree with our terms and conditions.