Like most sites this site uses cookies : By continuing to use our site you are agreeing to our cookie policy.close & accept [x]

your basket

There is nothing in your basket!

site search

mailing list

join our mailing list to receive offers and updates.

latest tweets

follow us on twitter

Mon 10th October 2011

Goats on the Roof - Oct

Goats on the Roof - Oct

It was a wet and windy day that greeted us all as we met at Goats on the Roof, but the lively group was not going to let a few drops of rain dampen their day.

After skirting Fontburn Reservoir for a short distance we were soon climbing our way up through Greenleighton Farm to a super vantage point of the reservoir down below. The climb had certainly warmed us all up and as we stopped we could just see Simonside poking through the mist and after plenty of talk about hefted sheep, and raking them up and down the hillside, it was time to follow the line of the ‘shake holes’.

We turned into the wind as we continued to the highest point of the walk, Greenleighton Hill.

The wind was not as bad as originally feared and we could stop at the trig point.

Then it was down to the ‘wall that Jon built’ as we discussed the building process of dry stone walls and also we had a good opportunity to discuss the farm as a whole. After skirting around the edge of the farm steading we found a great sheltered spot for lunch well out of the wind.

After lunch we continued on, heading towards Harwood Forest. Rather than entering the forest we looked and discussed the remote farm of Fallowlees, which was once part of the Wallington Estate before the vast majority of the farm being planted with trees.

After a quick stop off at the Iron Age burial site and the cup and ring marks we where back walking along the edge of Fontburn Reservoir.

Just as we reached Goats on the Roof the rain starting coming down again, this gave a superb excuse for a hot drink for all.

It had been a great walk. Superb company and even if the weather was not the greatest it did not take away from the walk. Thanks and I hope to see you all again.


Wed 5th October 2011

Pennine Way, part 7 - Padon Hill to Byrness

Pennine Way, part 7 - Padon Hill to Byrness

Sundance has totally given up, several days of super hot days with wall to wall sunshine and what does he get for his walk? Mist and drizzle and to make matters worse it’s still warm, never mind- being a hero he can cope.

After a mixed drive of thick mist/fog to fairly good visibility all the group of intrepid walkers arrived at Byrness.  Mike was his usual pessimistic self going round and telling every one ‘that it is going to be wet underfoot’.  We ignored him until he told us to get in the mini bus and we set off for the start.

The mini bus pulled up at the cattle grid where the Pennine Way crosses the road.  After a short delay as Mike explained that there was little for him to witter about, we set out along the Pennine Way and off into the mist.  A good footpath took us over Padon Hill but it misses the monument by a couple of hundred metres.  We did not even see the monument as it was lost in the mist.

The going became wetter as we crossed the head of the Dargues Burn, a steep slippery climb that left us all hot ‘Glowing’ and out of breath, and lead us up to Brownrigg Head. 

By now the mist had lifted a little but not enough to give us any distant views.  We continued in northerly direction with Kielder Forest on our left acting as a wind break.  The going was not too bad although it was wet underfoot with numerous boggy patches to be dodged around.  As Mike got the camera out once more one of our less vain members try to get out of the photo by taking a step back, into a deep hole and so promptly fell over much to Mike’s delight as he now had his ‘really embarrassing’ photo. The going changed for the worse as we entered the forest and the footpath varied from boggy to very boggy.  Eventually we reached a forest track and stopped for lunch.

After lunch we started to walk along the track which we would lead us eventually to Blakehopeburnhaugh and the river Rede.  As we followed the track we reached a point were the Pennine Way left the track and ran parallel to it for about 300m and about 50m away.  Mike led the determined ‘I have walked all the Pennine Way route while the more sensible ones continued on the forestry track.

As it had been raining since lunch the head high vegetation was very wet, the path once more was boggy and very quickly the intrepid explorers were wet. After a 100m or so most Pennine Way walkers had given up and made a detour back to the track but we continued on over 5ft ditches, hidden tree stumps, bogs and generally no path, eventually we reached the track again to see the others some 1Km ahead and waiting for us to catch up. 

After a pleasant but rather damp walk we reached the loos at the end of the Forestry Commission’s toll road from Kielder village to the A68.  From here the Pennine Way follows the east bank of the River Rede.  Once more we found the going muddy, slippery and in one place very boggy at Cottonhopesburnfoot.  We crossed the river by a small road bridge this lead, by another forestry track, to the ford and footbridge across the river near the Raw. It was now only a short walk back to the cars at Byrness.

From Alston to Byrness following the Pennine Way we have walked approx. 53mls (85Km) and climbed 7100ft (2164m). 

Next April we continue the Pennine Way, then join St. Cuthbert’s Way at Kirk Yetholm to the road crossing to Lindisfarne then we will follow the North Sea Trail to Berwick to complete a South to North crossing of Northumberland.

Mon 3rd October 2011

YouTube Film - Nordic Walking

YouTube Film - Nordic Walking